The braised lamb shank is a Sunday dish: gourmet, generous, it is the ideal dish for your family meals! The meat, simmered for hours, will be tender and can be eaten even with a spoon... Get to your stove!
For 4 people
Preparation time: 2 hours
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- A tablespoon of cracked black Banasura pepper
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- A tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 2 carrots
- A stalk of celery
- 40 cl of red wine
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons smoked garlic
- 800g tomato pulp
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- A bouquet garni
- A stick of Ceylon cinnamon
- 20 cl of water with 2 tablespoons of Vadouvan mixture
- 300 g tinned flageolet
- A tablespoon of mixed herbs de Provence
- a sprig of oregano
- Chop the onions, carrots, celery and set aside. Place the lamb shanks on the work surface. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, pepper, cumin.
- In a cast iron casserole dish with a lid, heat a good drizzle of olive oil over very high heat and sear the shanks on all sides. After colouring, set the shanks aside on a plate, lower the heat and add the chopped onions, carrots and celery. Leave to cook for a few minutes, add the flour, salt, pepper and cumin mixture. Mix well then deglaze with red wine.
- Add the tomato pulp, the tomato purée, the bouquet garni, the smoked garlic, the Ceylon cinnamon stick and the water mixture, Vadouvan. Salt, mix everything and reincorporate the shanks. Cover and cook over low heat for 1½ hours.
- Drain the beans, keeping the water aside. In a salad bowl, mix the beans with the mixed Provencal herbs and add everything to the casserole. Mix well and cook, still covered and over low heat, for another 30 minutes. It's ready.
Salt your plate, if necessary, with salt from the Thar desert and opt for a white pepper such as white Penja pepper which will go very well with lamb. Accompany this dish with a fresh chilli while cooking or directly on the plate.
If the preparation has reduced too much, help yourself with the water from the beans to get the desired texture. You can also change the filling according to your preferences, mashed potato or sweet potato, lentil or simply rice or pasta.